Sunday, September 10, 2017

Giving up on Hopes and Dreams brings New Possibilities

I recently had the realization that the hopes and dreams I had held onto for many years were not going to come true. This realization hurt but it also helped me to recognize that hopes and dreams are relevant to circumstances and sometimes circumstances are deceiving.  If circumstances, or their clarity, change then hopes and dreams will need to change as well.  Sure, the goals I had formulated and held close to my heart about my professional and personal future may not have been realistic, but that doesn’t mean that dreams are silly and hopeless.  In fact, the realization that these dreams are no longer, and may never have been a possibility, is freeing.  The release of one future has opened the door for me to formulate a new plan and a fresh map of my currently unknown journey. I am excited to venture down a path that will most likely lead to a more productive and satisfying future. 

Having dreams, working for a purpose and setting goals are all great motivators.  However sometimes within the pursuit of these dreams we limit ourselves and our thinking.  Dreams can become hindrances, even blockages, that we pour too much energy into, give things up for, or neglect other responsibilities to achieve.  When we recognized that the dreams we have can actually be holding us back from our true potential it’s only natural to feel disappointment. However, we have to remember that the time spent pursuing an impossible dream was not wasted. Time spent in pursuit of a dream is well spent growing.  We learn lessons through failure, we gain knowledge through planning, and we become stronger through the difficult process of deciding that the dream is no longer healthy or good.  The realization that we must give up on a dream is a tough one. It’s a loss that we may even need to mourn.  It hurts, but through that hurt we change and in the midst of change we often see things more clearly.  In these moments of clarity, we are able to recognize what’s important and that our dream has actually been holding us back.


I am challenging myself to embrace this new freedom, determine a new direction, and develop a new dream with greater hopes. I look forward to walking down a path towards a future filled with endless possibilities.  I don’t know what my new dream is yet, but what I do know is that I am filled with hope because it will be mine and it will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment